Monday, April 23, 2012

Our Humble Abode


It is always fun to look back at pictures as a child and remember the home you grew up in.
I realized that I had never taken pictures of our home,
 so last week, I took a few for memory's sake.


Family Room

Clark and Bennett's room.
I love their old sports pictures framed and hung above their beds.
This furniture my Dad had growing up as a young boy.
Back in his day it was painted white, but we had it refinished to the orginal maple wood.

Hall bathroom which also doubles as the guest bathroom.
Not ideal, but it works as long as I polish it up everyday!

 The master bedroom...still a work in progress with no end in sight!
The only redeeming part of this room
 are the pictures of each of my babies at 6 months of age
framed and hung above the bed.

As a little girl, I used to love to go down to my Grandma Clark's basement master bedroom
and look at all her family pictures hung on a peg board in a nook of her room.
She had a framed picture of each of her children at the age of 6 months.
The baby girls wore a delicate locket.
I thought they were so beautiful and angelic
and I knew I wanted to have that as a keepsake when I had babies of my own.

My baby girls are wearing the tiny "add a pearl" necklace
 that my Grandma Clark gave me as a baby.
My older cousin Jane and I were the only grand daughters to receive the necklace,
as she passed away at the age of 49 when I was just about 4 years old.

I love this room!
We call it the Living Room or Music Room.
It is the warmest and brightest in the house.
Lots of beautiful music, good conversation, and occasional Sunday naps are had here.


Several years ago for Christmas we decorated this basement room as a gift for the kids.
Up until then it was a plain, basically empty room with lots of toys.
Now it is a great hangout for the teenagers!


Cassidy's room
This used to be Haley's room, too, until Tia got marrid.

When Tia moved out, we did a little redecorating to make this room Haley's.
(Haley and Cassidy are enjoying having their own bedrooms for the first time!)

This furniture was my Grandma Meldrum's original bedroom set when she was newly married.
My parents also used this furniture for the first several years of their marriage.
When Curt and I got married this was ours for our first 10 years.

It is creaky and old and only a full sized bed.
My kids are shocked that both Curt and I could fit in it!
I have always loved this set and the tradition has been to pass it down to the first daughter.
Brett and Tia had their own furniture when they got married,
but someday this will be passed on to them, keeping with tradition!
This house is by no means perfect. 
Every so often I dream of an updated kitchen with granite countertops and newer appliances,
a bigger garage, more yard, a private guest bathroom,
 but as I look around, I really do love this house of mine!

No comments: